The appearance of Kirkby town centre is being completely transformed as part of the multi-million pound regeneration programme.
The appearance, landscaping and layout of the town centre has been radically improved, with:
- A brand new large Civic Square next to the council’s new £5m Kirkby Centre;
- New seating and lighting throughout the town centre;
- Attractive new paving, trees and shrubbery on St Chad’s Parade;
- Seating steps, trees and planting beds in Newtown Gardens;
- A new semi-lawned area close to the council’s new £2.5m market; and
- Three unique pieces of public art.
We have created four key spaces in the town centre – Civic Square, St Chad’s Parade, Newtown Gardens and the Market Square, all linked to bring the town centre together.
A number of changes have been made to Hackney carriage ranks in the town centre, which will benefit both customers and the trade.
- The main rank outside the Kirkby Centre has been relocated to the Co-op supermarket on Norwich Way;
- The rank on St Chad’s Drive has been moved further along St Chad’s Drive, closer to Kirkby Market;
- The “night time only” rank on Cherryfield Drive is now operational 24 hours a day, seven days a week; and
- An additional rank has been located next to the National Westminster Bank side of Newtown Gardens.