Apply for free school bus pass

Depending on your circumstances, you can get help meeting the cost of your child travelling to school. 

Your child may be entitled to a free school bus pass if they live in Knowsley and:

  • Attend a Knowsley School and the statutory walking distance from the home address to the school is two miles for children aged under eight, and three miles for children aged eight and over
  • You receive a low income and your child is entitled to free school meals or the family are in receipt of the maximum level of working tax credits and the child’s secondary school is more than two miles from home but less than six miles from one of the three nearest qualifying community schools or the child’s secondary school is more than two miles from home but less than 15 miles if attending on religious or belief grounds
  • Children between the ages of eight to 11 from low income families are entitled to free transport where they live more than two miles from their nearest primary school
  • The route your child walks to the nearest Knowsley School is unsafe
  • Your child has special educational needs, a disability or mobility problem

Not sure of the distance from your home to school? - use our Travel Checker

You are able to check the distance from your home to a school using our online Travel Checker tool.

How to apply

If you are applying for a bus pass for the current school year 2020/2021 please call 0151 443 2500.

If you applying for a bus pass for the school year 2021/2022 please revisit this web page on or after 1 August 2021 when you will be able to apply online.

Replacing a lost or damaged bus pass

If your pass is lost or damaged, you can apply for a replacement by calling Customer Services on 0151 443 2500Replacements cost £10 and you will need to provide two passport-sized photographs.

If your application is refused, you can appeal against the decisionto the council’s Appeals Committee. To appeal you must be able to demonstrate that there are exceptional circumstances that should be taken into consideration. 

You must submit a formal letter of appeal explaining the full circumstances of your case, for an appeal to be considered by the Appeals Committee. You must also provide documentary evidence from other agencies to support your claim. For example, a letter from your Social Worker, General Practitioner, Police, Housing Department or Head teacher.

Send to:
Customer Liaison Officer,
Knowsley Council,
Huyton Municipal Building, 5th Floor,
Archway Road,
L36 9YU