You can check the standards of hygiene at a wide range of food businesses to help you choose where to eat or shop for food.
The Food Hygiene Rating Scheme is based on inspections by food safety officers who look at:
- How hygienically the food is prepared, cooked, cooled and stored
- The condition of the structure of the building
- How the business manages and records what it does to make sure food is safe
How outlets are rated
Premises receive one of these ratings:
Checking a rating
Each business receives a certificate and window sticker which may be displayed at the premises.
Businesses included in the scheme are:
- Retail businesses handling open or perishable food
- Pubs and clubs
- Restaurants, cafes and other catering premises
- Mobile traders
- School and work canteens
- Institutional kitchens (e.g. nursing and residential homes)